If you do a lot of backpacking, hiking, or camping, you know the importance of having lightweight gear. Even if you are just traveling short distances, you don’t want to be overloaded with supplies and equipment that weigh you down. One of the biggest and most important things that most people take on their camping trips is a sleeping bag.
Traditional sleeping bags are bulky and have to be rolled up and packed or crammed into a carrying case. They are usually heavy and had to store when you aren’t using them. There are some sleeping bags that are made to be lightweight and easy to pack. If you are looking for the best ultralight sleeping bag, try one of these options.
How We Chose Our Ratings
We want our readers to have as much information as possible when shopping for new products, and we want that information to be accurate and truthful. We spend a lot of time researching the brands and products we add to our lists to make sure they really are some of the best.
We compare company data, read the reviews of other customers, and look at the overall value and quality of each item we recommend. Some other things we consider include,
- Water resistance
- Temperature rating
- Temperature control options
Top 14 Lightweight Sleeping Bags
It can be difficult to find sleeping bags that are lightweight and also keep you warm. While some campers don’t have to worry about the weight of a sleeping bag, those who are backpacking or hiking to their campsite, want something that won’t weigh them down. Here are 14 options to consider for the best ultralight sleeping bag.
Feathered Friends Flicker 20 UL Quilt Sleeping Bag
Some people worry that lightweight means uncomfortable. How can something be light if it has enough filling? This bag shows you just how easy it is to get a comfortable sleeping bag that is not too heavy. The Flicker 20 UL Quilt sleeping bag is versatile and can be unzipped and used as a blanket. When zipped, it is a mummy sleeping bag that helps keep heat inside for extra warmth and comfort.
There is a draft tube and a draft collar. It comes in different colors and lengths, and the fabric is soft and comfortable. It packs up tightly and is easy to carry and store. It is water-resistant and breathable, so it’s perfect for all types of camping. It’s a favorite of hikers.
Western Mountaineering UltraLite
- 20° F temperature rating and 5IN loft
- Made with very breathable and weather resistant 20 denier shell fabric and filled with 16 ounces of 850 plus fill power...
- Full-length #5 YKK zipper with an insulated draft tube and a full down collar to keep the warmth in
This is another mummy sleeping bag that is capable of keeping campers warm in all types of weather. While it’s filled with down, it’s still remarkably lightweight and easy to pack up and carry. It has a full-length zipper that allows campers to control the temperature inside the bag.
Unzip it to allow body heat out, and cool air in, and zip it up more to prevent cold air from entering and to stay toasty and warm. It comes in three different lengths and two different girths. It also has a full down collar, to help trap air in the sleeping bag.
REI Co-op Magma 10 Sleeping Bag
- SAVE SPACE and SHAVE WEIGHT with ultralight premium quality 800 fill power goose down filling (superior to synthetic) -...
- STAY WARM as a result of goose down insulation capabilities and waterproof fabrics - the microscopic air clusters found...
- HIKE FARTHER with the LIGHTEST MUMMY DOWN SLEEPING BAG available (summit any mountain or camp by the summer sea with...
This sleeping bag is filled with good down, and it very light and warm. If you are looking for a lightweight sleeping bag that is rated for cold weather and perfect for camping in all four seasons, this is the one. It’s water-resistant, and while it’s a mummy sleeping bag, there is still plenty of leg and knee room for those who want to move around and enjoy a little extra room.
It has a Downproof Pertex shell that makes is comfortable and soft. It has two drawstrings around the hood that allow you to pull it tight on cold nights to keep body heat inside. It comes in three sizes and you can choose for a fitted sleeping bag or a regular with more room.
REI Co-op Igneo 17
- SAVE SPACE and SHAVE WEIGHT - Our new 2019 model is designed to maximize durability, warmth, and water resistance. Our...
- STAY WARM and DRY as a result of Hydrophobic Down insulation capabilities and waterproof fabrics - the microscopic air...
- HIKE FARTHER with the LIGHTEST MUMMY DOWN SLEEPING BAG available (Short: 2.56 lbs., Regular: 2.71 lbs. & Long: 2.89...
This sleeping bag is filled with down and is water-resistant. If it does happen to get wet, it dries quickly, unlike other down sleeping bags. It’s one reason why it is perfect for camping in damp or wet areas. It’s also ideal for 3-season camping. It has a Ripstop nylon shell that makes it durable and perfect for the rugged outdoors.
The hood is slightly angular, which means there is room to move your head around. It still keeps all your body heat inside and keeps you warm in cold temperatures. There is also a draft tube that helps keep the temperature perfect. This bag packs up nicely so you can hike with it or just toss it in your backpack and head to your favorite camping spot.
Enlightened Equipment Revelation
- 30°F (-1°C) SURVIVAL RATING: Survival of average adult woman. 40°F (4°C) COMFORT LIMIT RATING: Average man can sleep...
- DOUBLE LAYER CONSTRUCTION: Fully synthetic hydrophobic silicone air core fill material selected for high compression to...
- JUMBO ZIPPER - Full length, two-way, self-repairing #10 zipper allows for easy opening from either end with extra-long...
This is not only a lightweight sleeping bag but also a versatile one. It has a padded attachment system on the sides that allows you to keep it closed tightly in cold weather. It also has zippers on each side that you can unzip to allow air to enter to keep the temperature cooler.
It has a zipper and drawstring to help open and close the foot box and elastic straps and clips to help keep the sleeping bag attached to the pads. The best thing about this sleeping bag besides the fact that’s lightweight and easy to carry is that it’s customizable.
There are many different options for fill, length, width, and warmth, so you can make the bag perfect for your favorite type of camping.
Montbell Down Hugger 800
- SAVE SPACE and SHAVE WEIGHT - Our new 2019 model is designed to maximize durability, warmth, and water resistance. Our...
- STAY WARM and DRY as a result of Hydrophobic Goose Down insulation capabilities and water-resistant DWR fabrics - the...
- HIKE FARTHER with the LIGHTEST MUMMY DOWN SLEEPING BAG available for this quality at the price. Summit any mountain or...
This may be one of the more expensive lightweight sleeping bags, but it’s also very high quality and extremely comfortable. Think of it as a luxury sleeping bag. It’s fully insulated and will keep you warm in very cold weather.
If you get too warm though, all you have to do is unzip it and allow some of your body heat to escape. The zipper glides smoothly, and you don’t have to worry about it getting stuck on the fabric or snagging. It comes with a neck baffle and insulated draft tubes to help you control the temperature of your bag with ease.
It has a mummy head to help keep heat inside but also provides plenty of room to move around. It tapers down to the bottom, and the fabric even stretches to allow for more movement.
Sea to Summit Spark SP III Sleeping Bag with Left Handed Zip
- BEST USE: 2 Season down sleeping bag for ultralight backpacking. Size Regular fits a user 6 tall or shorter
- WARMTH: 850+ fill Ultra-Dry water resistant down insulation, vertical chest baffles. Shaped hood, and zipper draft tube....
- COMPACT & LIGHT: Weighs just 1lb 1 oz & packs to only 2.5 Liters
This sleeping bag features a very soft liner that most people will appreciate. It has a contoured hood with a drawstring attached to allow campers to pull it tight to keep in body heat. It also comes in three size options, which makes it a great option for families. It unzips 1/3 of the way down, and the zipper won’t snag the fabric.
It’s one of the lightest options on the list and is perfect to just toss in your backpack at the last minute. It comes with a compression sack that allows you to make it very small so you can store it almost anywhere. It’s a simple sleeping bag, but it does the job and is suitable for all types of camping.
Katabatic Gear Flex 15°F
- ►WARM - Stay toasty warm due to the baffled construction and 22 oz. of high loft 700-fill power down which provides a...
- ►LIGHTWEIGHT - No need to compromise on size and weight. The quilt comes in at only 2 lb. 3 oz. and the included...
- ►DURABLE - The light, but durable, 20D ripstop nylon fabrics will ensure that the quilt performs for countless...
If warmth is a concern, this sleeping bag won’t let you down. It’s a blanket style, and it’s available with an optional down overfill for added insulation. It also has a zippered foot box and can be unzipped and opened up to be used as a quilt.
It has a draft guard around the foot and comes with a down-filled collar. It also has an attachment system in case you need to connect it to a mat, mattress, or pad. It comes in numerous sizes so you can find the best fit and stay warm in all types of weather.
Zpacks Solo Quilt
- ►WARM - Stay toasty warm due to the large baffled construction and 32 oz. of high loft 700-fill power down which...
- ►LIGHTWEIGHT - No need to compromise on size and weight. The bag comes in at only 3 lb. and the included compression...
- ►DURABLE - The light, but durable, 20D ripstop nylon fabrics and YKK zippers will ensure that the bag performs for...
This sleeping bag is available in many different options. You can choose one with a full zipper and a draft tube or one that only unzips 1/3 of the way. It also comes in different sizes and colors. It has an enclosed foot box and an attachment system that allows you to connect it to your sleeping pad with ease. This sleeping bag doesn’t have a hood to help keep in body heat.
If you like to have something around your head or are going to be camping in very cold weather, you may want to order a size bigger than what you need so you have extra material to pull around your head. The sleeping bag does need to be hand-washed and is water-resistant.
Big Agnes Pin Ears SL 20°
This bag is unique in that it doesn’t have a zipper. Not only does this help make it lighter, but it also allows you to avoid waking up everyone in the campground when you have to hop out to run to the bathroom in the middle of the night. It has a clip and loop system to allow you to attach it to your sleeping pad or mattress.
It features an anti-draft collar that wraps around the entire sleeping bag to keep out cold air and allow you to stay toasty inside. The hood can be pulled down if you get too hot and both the shell and liner are made from comfortable materials. It’s durable and won’t tear or snag easily. It also repels water so that it can be used in damp or wet areas.
NemoSiren Down Ultralight Quilt
- Stretch foot box anchors bag to sleeping pad and accommodates a variety of pad widths
- Optional lacing system on quilt back provides tie-down security
- Ultralight tie-down hardware is used at the edges for the optional lacing system
This sleeping bag doesn’t have a lot of features for the price, but if you want something that is lightweight and will keep you warm in cold temperatures, it’s a great option. It has a neck closure system that helps keep drafts out and body heat inside. If you do get hot, you can remove it and pull down the top.
For warm-weather camping, it can be completely unzipped and unfolded and used as a blanket. It has a down fill, and the zipper won’t snag the fabric or make a lot of noise when you use it. It’s easy to get in and out of quickly, but there aren’t a lot of size or color options.
It does have plenty of room and can be used in a hammock.
Sierra Designs Backcountry Bed
- Patent Pending zipperless design provides more comfort
- Oversized Integrated Comforter
- Insulated hand and arm pockets help to seal out drafts
This sleeping bag has a contoured design that is made to fit your body to help keep you warm and comfortable in all types of weather. It’s available in regular or extra-long and comes in a deep red color. It has a comforter inside for added warmth and pockets for your arms and hands.
It comes with a cord that can be stretched over the sleeping back to help keep drafts out. It features a foot ventilation system and an attachment system for sleeping pads. It’s one of the most comfortable and warm sleeping bags on the market, and you won’t believe how lightweight it feels.
Mountain Hardware HyperLamina Flame
- ►SAVE SPACE and SHAVE WEIGHT with ultralight premium quality goose down filling (superior to synthetic) - nature's...
- ►STAY WARM as a result of goose down insulation capabilities and waterproof fabrics - the microscopic air clusters...
- ►HIKE FARTHER with the LIGHTEST MUMMY DOWN SLEEPING BAG available (summit any mountain or camp by the summer sea with...
This is a synthetic sleeping bag, but it’s still very lightweight and incredibly warm. It has a mummy design and comes with a face gasket to prevent cold air from leaking in around your face and neck. It also has a zipper in the top middle of the bag, that unzips halfway down to allow you to get in and out easily.
It has a draft collar, comfortable foot box, and ThermalQ insulation. It comes in long or regular sizes, compresses nicely, and is easy to carry and store.
- Women's mummy-style 30-degree sleeping bag for backpacking, weekend camping, and other outdoor activities; certified 650...
- Female-specific fit; extra insulation in key areas; EN tested to provide a comfortable night’s sleep at temperatures...
- Ground-level side seams wrap around body for maximum warmth; stretch tricot baffles keep insulation in place, limiting...
This is a favorite of backpackers and has a soft and silky fabric that is comfortable and helps with temperature control. It has a down fill that has been treated to prevent water from soaking into it. It has pockets inside to allow you to store all your items and protect them from the elements. The zipper is snag-proof and not noisy.
It has a drawstring to help prevent drafts from entering and bringing down the temperature inside the bag. It also has loops that can be used to air it out or even store it in a closet or garage when not in use.
What To Consider When Choosing A Lightweight Sleeping Bag
When you are looking for the best ultralight sleeping bag that will keep you comfortable while camping, there are a few things should consider.
The fill of the sleeping bag is what insulates it and what keeps you warm. Most lightweight sleeping bags use down because it’s not heavy or bulky, but still provides plenty of warmth. The downside to down is that if it gets wet, it takes a long time to dry.
Mold and mildew can also grow on it, and you usually have to hand wash, and air dries it. Synthetic fill materials are typically heavier, but they are also often water-resistant and easy to clean.
Most people are on a budget when camping, and lightweight bags can be expensive. Be sure to shop around to find the best price and value. There are affordable bag options that won’t break the bank, or your back while you carry them.
Most people want a sleeping bag that fits them. You should make sure the bag you choose comes in different size options so you can choose the one that is right for you. Keep in mind if you like a lot of space, you will want to choose a size bigger than what you need. This could allow for cold spots though, so a bigger bag may not keep you as warm as a smaller one.
When you are shopping for the best ultralight and lightweight sleeping bag, you may be overwhelmed by all the options. There are a lot of sleeping bags to choose from, and finding the one that is right for you can be a challenge.
The best thing to do is think about your own needs and desires and what makes you the most comfortable while camping. Look for a sleeping bag that fits your budget, has all the features you need, and is lightweight and portable. Once you find the right bag, you will be amazed by how much more enjoyable camping can be.
Last update on 2021-01-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API