Modems connect devices to the internet. Routers connect smart devices and computers in the home to each other. Traditionally, web users had to buy these two products separately. You can eliminate much of the expense, the hassle of wires, and space issues by purchasing a modem router combo.
Modem routers are perfect for creating multi-device home networks with computers, smartphones, smart TVs, wireless printers, gaming consoles, smart fridges, and much more. You can use one access point to connect each device to the web when needed with a modem router. It’s convenient, efficient, and also quite budget friendly.
Modem routers can save you the hundreds of dollars it takes to rent a modem from a cable or internet provider. Not only that, you get other perks like Wi-Fi range extension and security protocols that keep your device safe. You can upgrade your existing modem with a modem router to facilitate lag-free video streaming and high-speed gaming. If you are an avid home-based internet user with multiple devices, here is a list of wonderful modem routers that won’t waste your money:
1. Arris Surfboard Wi-Fi Cable Modem Router
- Approved on Comcast Xfinity, Spectrum (Charter, Time Warner, Brighthouse Networks), Cox, Mediacom, Suddenlink and most...
- Two-in-one 8x4 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem + N300 WiFi Router
- 8 Download Channels and 4 Upload Channels capable of up to 343 Mbps download and 131 upload speeds. Recommended for...
Why we like it: Cheap and popular, the Arris Surfboard SBG6400 has got everything the typical web surfer and mild gamer has to ask for. What’s not to like?
The Arris Surfboard SBG6400 has a sleek, white Apple style design that you will be proud to show off at your home. This is not your standard bulky, black modem router with prongs coming out of here and there. It’s has a stylish exterior and the capabilities do not leave users wanting either. This product combines with DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem with an N300 Wi-Fi router. The modem supports both IPv4 and IPv6. It offers 8 download channels and 4 upload channels, which is more than what you can ask from a product that is so affordable.
While the affordability is a perk, the speed is what makes this modem really worth it, in our opinion. It offers 2.4 GHz speeds, which is standard but is of much better value than what you will get by renting a modem from your cable provider. This modem router is really easy to use even for people who barely understand what “uplink” means. It comes with a user guide and tech support. The modem supports all the major cable networks up to 100 Mbps. The modem also has 2 Ethernet ports and a USB port as well.
2. TP-Link Archer CR1900 Wireless Wi-Fi Cable Modem Router
- Wave 2 Wireless Internet Router, 600Mbps on the 2.4GHz band and 1300Mbps on the 5GHz band, Works with Amazon Alexa
- MU-MIMO Gigabit Router, Three simultaneous data streams help your devices achieve optimal performance by making...
- Boosted Wi-Fi Coverage, Beamforming technology delivers a highly efficient wireless connection, Long Range Wi-Fi
Why we like it: This is an affordable and ideal modem router to ensure reliable speeds with mid-range cable plans. It’s great for both streaming and gaming.
This TP-Link Archer CR1900 Wireless Wi-Fi Cable Modem Router is one of the best you will find on the market. It’s also one of the most affordable. You can instantly eliminate unwanted modem rental fees from your internet bill with this and also enjoy a reliable connection. We were impressed by the Wi-Fi speed the router offers, which can go as high as 600-1300 Mbp. It’s hard for most modems to consistently offer that much speed.
3. Motorola 16×4 High-Speed Cable Modem
- 16x4 DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem plus a built-in AC1900 Dual Band (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz) WiFi Gigabit Router with four Gigabit...
- Requires cable Internet service. Approved by and for use with Comcast Xfinity and Xfinity X1, Cox, Charter Spectrum,...
- Built-in high-speed Wi-Fi router with AC1900 Wi-Fi, and Power Boost, and DFS provides Internet access for Wi-Fi devices...
Why we like it: This affordable modem is surprisingly powerful. The router has amplified Wi-Fi and the modem is speedier than most standard ones. It also has some overheat protection.
If you are an avid video streamer or a dedicated online gamer, then you know that traditional modems or routers are often not up to the task of handling what you need. If that’s the case, then this is definitely the modem router you need for your home. It offers higher speeds over standard but without charging an arm and a leg at the same time. This product is a combination of a 16×4 DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem and an AC1900 high-speed wireless router. The modem can reach speeds of up to 686 Mbps, which is 16 times faster than standard DOCSIS 2.0 modems.
The router has a power boost device that can provide internet access for pretty much all smart devices including smartphones, smart TVs, and smart fridges. The modem router also has 5 Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports to connect computers or gaming stations. The Wi-Fi is amplified with beamforming tech that can handle 2.5 GHz and 5.0 GHz frequencies. You can stream HD video content or engage in intensive, high-speed gaming with ease with this modem router. We were impressed by the thoughtful design as well. The vertical modem router is designed to expel heat more efficiently during high-traffic sessions.
4. NETGEAR Nighthawk Dual Band Wi-Fi Router
- Fast wifi performance: Get up to 1800 square feet wireless coverage with AC1900 speed (Dual band up to 600 + 1300 Mbps)
- Recommended for up to 30 devices: Reliably stream videos, play games, surf the internet, and connect smart home devices
- Wired Ethernet ports: plug in computers, game consoles, streaming players, and other nearby wired devices with 4 x 1...
Why we like it: This speedy modem router is a range extender and has network amplifying beamforming technology. You can get a number of cool new features without breaking the bank.
There are many things to praise about this stylish modem router. First, the design incorporates many vents, so this will not get hot easily when you are playing games or streaming videos for hours on end. Most impressively, this modem router has a 1GHz dual-core processor. It ensures reliable and speedy connections even when the cable providers slow down. You can be quite assured that web surfing sessions, gaming, and streaming will be lag free. This modem router boasts up to 1,300 Mbps. At a minimum, you can get 600 Mbps of speed. That’s definitely worth praising.
It comes with beamforming tech that improves range and amplifies the Wi-Fi connection. You can very well use this modem router as a range extender as well. It’s great for creating a multi-device home network. You can connect this modem to voice-operated AI assistants like Echo and Alexa to control the home network with voice commands. The modem router also comes with a corresponding mobile app for quick connections on handheld devices. It’s speedy, reliable and secure, and warrants a high recommendation from us.
5. Securifi Almond Touchscreen Wi-Fi Wireless Router
- 95% of customers SET IT UP IN 3 MINUTES using Touchscreen Wizard; World's 1st TOUCHSCREEN Router
- NO PC/Mac/CD needed for Setup or Management
- MULTI PURPOSE USAGE: Use as primary WiFi Router or Range Extender or Access Point or Wireless Bridge - No built-in DSL...
Why we like it: This modem router comes with a touchscreen! You can access all settings without requiring connecting to a computer. And the signal strength is quite powerful too.
A modem router with a touchscreen. That is definitely something worth spending money on. Yes, this router has a cool touchscreen, and no, you don’t have to spend hundreds to buy this. In fact. The touchscreen gives you access to all the network settings. You don’t need a computer to set up this router. And setup doesn’t take too much time either. You can set this up in less than 3 minutes according to the manufacturer. We say that newbies won’t need more than 10 minutes to set up this modem router.
This modem router is not all about the looks either. It comes with a universal range extender for computers, smartphones, tablets, and gaming consoles. It’s compatible with all the widely used operating systems. You can use this as a router, a range extender, an access point, or a wireless bridge. That is quite remarkable multi-purpose functionality. The wireless signal we got was standard. It was speedy enough for everyday needs and we didn’t experience any lag when browsing the net or streaming videos. Overall, this is a really cool and practical modem router for homes.
6. Arris Surfboard SBG7580AC Wi-Fi Cable Modem Router
- Works with Comcast, Time Warner, Cox, Charter and MOST Small Regional Cable Providers. PENDING approval Bright House...
Why we like it: This is a truly excellent modem router that can ensure super high speeds for HD video streaming and gaming on multiple devices. It also works with some regional cable providers.
This modem router is not for the faint of heart. It can provide router speeds up to 1900 Mbps. So this falls near the top of best modem routers of all time. It combines a dual-band modem that can handle 2.4GHz and 5GHz connections at the same time. Most impressively, it has 32×8 bonded channels, which is a lot more than what you get with most modems at this budget. The channels ensure upload speeds of up to 262 Mbps and download speeds of up to 1.4 Gbps! It’s unheard of for modem routers at this budget.
You will really be upgrading from whatever basic equipment you are renting from your cable provider when you switch to this modem router. It’s more than perfect for high-speed gaming and streaming high-def videos. If you game on multiple devices at home, this modem router is one of the more affordable products that can handle the traffic without causing annoying lags. It supports both IPv4 and IPv6 internet standards. It also works with pretty much all national cable providers. It also works with some regional ones like Bright House Networks. Overall, what you get is really more than most households need.
7. NETGEAR AC3000 Tri-Band Mesh Wi-Fi Cable Modem
- Ultra-performance Mesh WiFi network blankets every inch of your home in super fast and seamless WiFi connectivity - room...
- Eliminates WiFi dead zones and buffering - 5,000 square feet of consistent coverage - with speeds up to 30 Gbps.
- The most award-winning Mesh WiFi system on the planet: PC Mag, CNET, Wirecutter, Forbes, SmallNetBuilder.
Why we like it: If you are looking for a modem router that offers a lot more than basic connectivity and speed, then this is the product you are looking for.
When it comes to speed, hardly any other modem router can beat this NETGEAR AC3000. If you are sick of video buffering, games getting disconnected, or other disruptions in your internet connection, this router will be the ultimate solution. It’s expensive so you know there’s no messing. The modem router can reliably reach speeds up to 340 Mbs, which makes it one of the fastest available for consumers. And it offers a complete home Wi-Fi system with the router part. You can connect all home devices to the router. By “all”, we mean everything from your laptop to the smart thermometer.
This modem router uses satellite signals to deliver faster and stronger Wi-Fi signals inside your home. So you no longer need to climb the stairs with your laptop to send a printing message to the wireless inkjet. If you live in a multi-story home with wide rooms, this modem router will solve all those frustrating connection issues. The device covers up to 4,000 square feet for high-performance Wi-Fi. It also works will all major U.S. cable providers so you can rely on a great internet connection too. This is one of the best modem routers for HD video streaming and high-speed gaming.
8. TP-LINK Dual Band Wireless Cable Modem Router
- Upgrade from wireless N (802.11n) to an AC wireless WiFi network and eliminate rental fees
- This includes the router that the New York Times' hailed as "The Best Router for Most People" and winner of PCMag.com's...
- Archer C7 features include: 6 antennas (3x external and 3x internal), AC1750 WiFi (Up to 138% faster than AC750), and a...
Why we like it: This modem router has more powerful processing speeds than most. It’s great for homes that need to connect near a dozen devices.
We highly recommend this modem router as a solid upgrade from a typical 802.11n wireless connection. It eliminates rental fees and also buffering frustrations all in one package. This router was once heralded the best basic router by well-regarded publications like The New York Times and PCMag. It’s hard not to see why. This modem router combines a powerful TC-7610-E DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem with an AC1750 router. The router has 6 antennas equally for external and internal links. The router is over a hundred times faster than the standard AC750 and has a much more powerful processor.
You can get up to 343 Mbps download speeds with this modem router, which is quite impressive. It also has 2 USB 2.0 ports that you can connect external hard drives, printers, and file sharing devices to at home. You can create a reliable and significantly large home network with the router with near zero lag. The modem is certified with providers like Comcast, Charter, Cox, Time Warner Cable, and Cablevision. It also comes with 24/7 tech support and a 2-year warranty. Overall, this modem router is like a bundle deal that gives truly excellent value for your money.
9. Actiontec Wireless-N ADSL Modem Router
- Compatible with ADSL CenturyLink (NOT their VDSL) and major DSL service providers
- Not compatible with Verizon FIOS, AT&T U-verse or cable systems such as Comcast,Time Warner, Cablevision, Cox, Charter...
- Preconfigured for simple setup and will auto-detect your specific service settings. Includes high-grade firewall,...
Why we like it: This is a classic modem router that still works with DSL providers. More importantly, it has an amazing firewall and a number of other protections.
This is a classic router that is rather affordable. You won’t blow your budget buying this router. It’s compatible with older network providers like ADSL and CenturyLink. It works with all the major DSL providers, so if you are still on one of these older plans, you will greatly benefit from this modem router. One major perk we noticed is that this modem router comes preconfigured. So hooking it up to your network is really easy. Setup is simple and the modem router can auto-detect already existing settings. It’s not fancy, but this modem router is remarkably practical.
This modem router is actually three products in one: a Wireless-N router for 300Mbps connections, full-rate ADSL 2/2+ modem, and a 4-port switch for connecting devices. This is one of the high-functioning products that offers amazing value for the amount you pay. If you are a security hawk, then you will definitely love this modem router. It has a high-grade firewall, encryption protocols, parental controls, and a number of other security protections you definitely need when browsing the net. It will keep any other devices you connect safe from a possible cyber attack. All in all, this is a splendid modem router for homes.
Last update on 2021-07-25 at 00:32 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API